Each Dragonboat Idea can be mapped to one Jira EPIC, and one Dragonboat Initiative can be mapped to one Jira Initiative (Parent Link). Set up field mapping to keep the mapped field's value in sync between Dragonboat and Jira.
There are 2 separate mapping templates - set up during import, and on the Integration page
- The template set up at the time of Import can be used for the 1 time or recurring import.
- The template set up on the Setting >> Integration page is used for ongoing updates, when creating an epic, or when linking an epic.
To set up the ongoing/ recurring sync, set the mapping on the Settings >> Integration page
Note: Mapping Dragonboat to Jira dropdown fields can help keep terms consistent rather than variable text input by users.
How frequent is the update of mapped fields between Dragonboat and Jira?
The update from Dragonboat to Jira is real-time whenever you edit an idea and Save (Save and Update Jira), the mapped fields in the Epic in Jira will be updated.
Update from Jira to Dragonboat follows 2 methods, depending on whether an organization has webhooks enabled or not.
- If an account has enabled webhook, the changes in the mapped Jira fields will be immediately pushed from Jira to Dragonboat
- If the organization does not set up a webhook, the update from Jira to Dragonboat follows the below frequency.
- Real-time update of one idea when open the Idea edit modal
- On-demand update all active ideas by clicking the "UPDATE MAPPED VALUE" link on the Integration >> Field level syncing page.
- On-demand update by clicking the "Get Stories and Tasks" button on the Idea edit screen.
- Daily update of all active ideas.
There are a few limitations:
- The mapping is global to all Jira projects. If one or some fields are not available to the linked Jira project, the update will complete for all other fields except these fields.
- If the field in Jira is drop-down/ select, workflow status, Dragonboat can pull in new values from Jira, but will not create new value in Jira.
- If the field in Jira has multiple values, e.g. Fixversion, Dragonboat will pull in the 1st value in that field.
- If you have field or project level permission for a field, the update from Dragonboat to Jira may be blocked.
1. Import and Pull from Jira to Dragonboat
When you import EPICs from Jira to Dragonboat using JQL, you may decide which value from Jira will be pulled into Dragonboat. This mapping must be set during each individual import, this will not be an ongoing setup.
2. Ongoing Field Update
If you'd like to keep selected fields in sync between Jira and Dragonboat, you need to set up field mapping and sync direction on the Jira Integration page.
The field mapping is global to all Jira projects and all ideas. Here is a reference on Dragonboat data schema.
When you update any field mapping, all fields will import from Jira upon saving your changes.
You can also select "Update Mapped Fields with Jira Values Now" at any point (with Admin access) to pull in fields from Jira.
Tip: Ideally you may have 1 direction to avoid accidental overwrites.
Note: Dragonboat does not create new system values defined in Jira Settings, such as Status (workflow), or Assignee, or FixVersion. If you need to have a new FixVersion, or Status, you need to create them in Jira first. These values can be pulled into dragonboat for future sync.
At the time of Edit, On-Demand Sync
When you edit ideas using the Edit Screen, or directly on the Idea List, you have the option to update Jira with values in Dragonboat or pull the Jira value to update the idea. This is a recommended syncing method to avoid unintentional over-write. But don't worry, if you trigger an unintended overwrite, you may find the previous value on the Idea history (on the Idea edit screen history)
Daily update, from Jira to Dragonboat
There are 2 types of daily updates pulled from Jira to Dragonboat
- EPIC progress
- Update EPIC progress by # of Issues in Open, In Progress, and Done categories - reflects on Progress page for trend line and prediction
- Details of issues in each EPIC - reflects on the Timeline (enterprise plan only)
- Field update
- Select fields to update, and the Jira value will overwrite the Dragonboat field value.
- This applies only to Ideas NOT IN Archived and Completed stage.
Link idea: 2 steps syncing
When you link an existing Jira EPIC to a Dragonboat Idea or Initiative (on the Idea Pop up screen) - the data will not be synced automatically. You may choose to pull data from Jira to Dragonboat, or vice versa at the time of saving this Idea / Initiative.
Create Jira EPIC from Dragonboat
When you create an EPIC from Dragonboat to Jira via the Idea pop-up modal, the update from Dragonboat to Jira is 1-time sync.
Which system takes precedence when enabling two-way sync between Dragonboat and Jira?
Linking Jira to Dragonboat:
Jira will overwrite the field values in Dragonboat. This will happen on your initial sync with Jira, when you're updating field mapping settings, or when you're adding in another field to pull in from Jira to Dragonboat.
Creating from Dragonboat to Jira:
When creating an Epic in Jira from Dragonboat (and two-way sync is turned on), the Dragonboat field will overwrite what is in Jira because it is being sent over by Dragonboat.