The Forecast schedule page helps to:
- Forecast staffing needs by team or skill based on demands on team or skills over time
- Review allocation against your Objectives, Themes, and other measures in real-time before finalizing your roadmap.
- Plan scenarios in draft mode
This overview covers the Elements, Filters, Draft Mode and Allocation Reports
Components of the Forecast page:
(1) The top left section contains a list of Ideas in the order of global priority that's defined on the Idea board or Idea List.
- You may double click the title of the Idea to open the Idea Edit page
- You may click + to add a resource estimate for an Idea.
- By default, you may only edit Ideas in the Backlog and Planning stages. You may select to "Enable edit on confirmed ideas"
(2) The top right section displays the Idea timeline and resourcing needs - based on the display options
- If Assignment is selected, the Gantt bar is based on Assignment. If there is no assignment, the Gantt bar is based on Target start and Target end date (aka you may drag the bar to update these dates).
- If Estimate is selected, the Gantt bar is based on estimates. By unchecking the "Use actual for confirmed Ideas" on the display preference screen, the Assignment will be used for Confirmed ideas (only).
- If an idea has no estimate no assignment, for Resourcing calculation (in the table below), the owner of the idea will be considered for resourcing needs. This is also used for Allocation Calculation.
Backlog ideas have no border and no fill color.
Planning Ideas have dashed border.
Confirmed Ideas have no border on the timeline.
You may drag the bar to adjust the timeline for a Planning Idea. To adjust the timeline of a Confirmed Idea, you need to use either Idea or staffing page - type the name or Jira Key of Idea in the search field to find the Idea.
(3) The bottom left section displays the latest available resources by Team and Skill (aka Supply).
- The number of staff reflects the total active capacity user for that Team and Skill as detailed on the Setting >> User page.
- You may see Team and/or Skills you don't currently have with a 0 staff count. They still display on this section to indicate the need based on Idea estimates.
(4)The bottom right section shows the total requested resources (aka Forecasted Demand) for each time period
- When the Demand for the given team, skill, and time is higher than the available resource, resulting in resource deficit, the corresponding resource cell turns red.
- To find out what Ideas are causing the forecasted resource deficit, you may perform a quick filter by clicking on that row/ cell.
- You may drag the Idea bar on Section 2 to adjust the time until the cells turn green. This is a Real-Time Tradeoff.
- You can also use the Filter, Unfilter on the top nav to adjust what'll be displayed. (see how to use filters at the bottom of this page)
(5) Additional Features
The Draft mode
Draft mode allows you to make changes without saving to the systems. You may take screenshots of your draft plan to compare side by side.
It gives you a real-time view on where you allocate towards the chosen category, e.g. Objectives or Roadmaps. This is based on estimates for Planning stage Ideas, and Assignment for Confirmed Ideas.
--- Next step in the workflow from Planning to Confirmed
Confirm an Idea will "lock" resource assignment. Confirming an Idea will trigger the Auto-assign algorithm
Once you decided on your roadmap, perhaps for only the upcoming months, you may confirm an Idea by updating the Idea Planning stage on the Idea lightbox or Ideas list page.
Our smart algorithm will automatically assign resources in the team and skill to match estimates. You may adjust the assignment on the staffing page. (see details here)
Note: The auto-assign only works if an Idea in the Planning stage does not have assignment on the Staffing page.
How to use Filters
- Filter by Roadmap: this will display all the resource demands from the selected roadmap. This may be only partial demand as it hides other requests. The Resource Table at the bottom may be green because it represents only partial demand.
- Filter by Team and or Skill: (and un-filter roadmap) this will display the true demand from all roadmaps to the selected Team/ Skill.
- Filter by Skill: this allows you to adjust team or work coming to the team to internally balance the workload (see 3 ways to approach this - bring the work to the pod, or break the pod to work, or prioritize within the team/skill).
Note: To share Forecast page views with Read-Only users, your Admin will need to request this module to be visible for Read-Only accounts by selecting the Help icon on any page.